CNBA Business Association Meeting Minutes
December 12, 2012, 8:00 a.m.
Colts Neck Library
Glen Dalakian called meeting to order at 8:10 a.m. and welcomed everyone.
The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Tony Abbatiello.
Tom Corley gave Treasurer’s report – CNBA currently has a balance of $2,889.25 in Money Market (scholarship account), $13,757.37 in Operating Account and $796.68 in PayPal Account – Total $17,443.30.
The Holiday Mailer was discussed. There are 4,800 addresses. We have 5,000 printed. Some are going to be going outside of Colts Neck.
Hurricane Sandy was discussed “Where do we go from here” and “Ways to help.” Greg said that Colts Neck High School is doing a walk on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. For business information on Sandy Recovery, see Greg Calderero.
Operation Provide Comfort – Jim Sfayer began an initiative on sharing resources and CNBA is helping with the business district. They need a place to put funding. They are a committee of 15 – 20 people. Glen said there is a truck with new sheetrock available at $5.40 per 8’ board; however, you would have to purchase all 1088 sheets. There are 1000 homes in Union Beach needing sheetrock – 20 sheets per house are needed. There is a meeting on Thursday at 7:00 pm at the Union Beach Municipal Building, Poole Ave (off Rt. 36).
Glen said that some of the CNBA members have already stepped forward to help in clean up. He said that if finances are given directly to the town of Union Beach, they cannot be given to the people in need. Finances have to be given directly through a Hurricane Recovery organization in order to get to the people in need. Glen asked for a motion for CNBA to write a check that will go to the people themselves. Jull Valentino made motion for CNBA to donate $2000 to Operation Provide Comfort. It was seconded by Mike Tormey. A discussion ensued.
- Tony Abbatiello suggested that the monies be dedicated to the Union Beach business district.
- Sil said that many of our members have suppliers and suggested that they ask them to donate items towards the relief.
- Greg Calderero said we should allocate dollars each year to certain projects. We should have a proposed budget each year for fiscal responsibility.
- Tom Corley said we do not have a burn rate of funds in CNBA account.
- Brian asked if there are other initiatives trying to obtain the same supplies from trucks coming into the area.
- Mike Tormey said we need the CNBA funds for our maps, mailers and website.
- Andrea said that unless the money is directed toward the businesses, we should not do this. It is too premature.
- Dave Sokoler said we should put a budget together for 2013 and revisit this plan.
- Kevin said the needs will still be there in the future.
- Pastor Chris said that this would be a great gesture to do now since the people need help now – especially with the cold weather coming.
- Someone said that the businesses still have to pay property taxes and are in dire need.
- Tom Corley said that our scope should be very limited and CNBA funds only used for the Colts Neck business community. He said we should not lose our mission of helping Colts Neck businesses. He suggested the CNBA members should donate their own time and resources rather than using CNBA funds.
A vote was taken to donate $2000 of CNBA funds to Operation Provide Comfort but was rejected at a 14 to 12 vote. The funds will not be donated.
Glen said our new slate of Executive Officers include all of the same except for the Treasurer’s position. The new Treasurer is Dave Sokoler and the Overseer of Finances is Tom Corley.
Monica reported that the Holiday Window Painting was done on Thursday, December 8 at eight separate business locations in Colts Neck by the art students of Colts Neck High School. The judging will commence shortly headed by Carolyn Burtnick and the awards will be given to the students after January 5, 2013.
Andrea reported that there will be new CNBA initiatives including, Flyers, Mailers, Card Exchanges that are sponsored by CNBA and New Website.
Anna said that the next card exchange will be held on January 15 from 6 – 8 pm at the Colts Neck Inn. CNBA will be sponsoring the event.
Committee Reports were given.
The CNBA luncheon will be held on March 5 at Trump Golf Club. The cost is $35 per person - $300/table of ten. Gift Baskets valued at $200 - $300 are needed. A “Save the Date” will be sent out before Christmas.
All members in attendance introduced themselves.
The speaker was Greg Calderero.
Monica Vermeulen, Recording Secretary